Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Lake Sleepover

This past weekend, we went to The Lake for my niece's 12th Birthday. My cousin and her family have had a lot there for the past few years. Emma has been dying to "camp out". I think she got the crazy idea from the Little Einsteins or Backyardigans.

She wanted to do it all. Fish, swim, toast marshmallows and sleep in the tent. Mommy wasn't too crazy about that but I was all for it because of her. Emma loved it all and I think she is definitely the outdoorsy type. Here are a few pictures from the day. I didn't get any pictures of her making S'mores because my battery ran out but did get some other nice shots from the day. I'll also try to post a little video of her swimming.

Tossing Rocks with Cousin Benny Bop

Enjoying a nice cold Strawberry Margarita (kid-style)

Happy 12th Birthday Chelsea

The BIG catch of the day. This is where we really needed Daddy, to get the fish off the line. He was away golfing for the weekend. I was able to safely remove the hook from the fish and send him back home but, not before Emma insisted on giving him a kiss goodbye!!

Our sleeping quarters. This was actually the next morning but because my camera was not working the night before, I asked Emma to lay down and pretend that she was sleeping so I could take a picture and she did. What a trooper. And if you're thinking that it was comfy cozy with all the blankets and pillows, think again. The next time we do this, I will invest in some sort of air mattress.
Our little friend we found wandering around

We really had a great time. We will definitely campout again when Daddy is around. Emma had so much fun as she always does with her cousins. I just wish that we had remembered that Jen and her family were just on the other side of the Lake, I would have loved to see Jen tube!!!

7 comments:

Kate said...

Oh. My. Word. You sent Kevin off golfing...AND THEN WENT CAMPING???? You definitely earned mother of the year with that!!! It looks like lots of fun, but oh my...still thinking about removing the hook from the fishes mouth....seriously??

Well done friend...well done!!

I am such a freak now charging up the camera battery the night before we do anything...but bravo to Emma for re-enacting the whole "sleep" thing!!!

Loved this post...it goes down under "things you never knew you would do when you were a mother."

Kate

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I agree with Kate....Mother of the year for sure....I am not a good camper at all.....and add fishing to that....you ROCK!!!

What a great weekend for you two girls!!

Have a great week...it has been rather chilly up here on The Cape...67 today....can you believe it?

Lisa

Kellyann said...

Very cute pix. I'm in awe that you went camping solo with Emma. Brave lady! I have not attempted camping with the kids yet. Would you recommend it? Of course investing in a blow up mattress would be my first purchase to do it.

Kate said...

Oh honey...we all would have paid money to see Jen tube. That girl has a lot of fun packed into every inch....so great to have a friend like that!!! If we ask her she will probably provide video of it herself!!!

LOVE HER....and you too!!!

Smooches *Mwah*

:-)

Jennifer said...

Laura,

I can't believe you were at the Lake too!!! We could of met up! I think we should have an adoption group sleep over at the Lake!!!!

I would go tubing again for all of you! ;)

Jen

Anonymous said...

Looks like y'all had an amazing time!!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Your comment about your level of comfort made me laugh out loud!!!